College to remember victims of 9/11 in Cascade Campus ceremony
Photos and Story by James Hill
PCC is hosting a 9/11 Commemorative Ceremony at the Cascade Campus – the location of the college’s emergency services programs – on Wednesday, Sept. 11 and the community is invited.
To remember those who died during the tragic Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in New York City and on the East Coast, staff, faculty and students will gather at Borthwick Mall beginning at 8:30 a.m. to honor the victims. The ceremony will include a college-wide moment of silence at 8:57 a.m.
Participating in the ceremony will be faculty and student from PCC’s Emergency Medical Services, Fire Protection Technology, Criminal Justice Administration, Emergency Management, and 9-1-1 Emergency Tele-communicator programs and their students. In addition, Cascade Public Safety and Cascade Campus personnel will be joined by City of Portland representatives, including police and fire, as well as folks from American Medical Response.
The event schedule includes:
- 8:45 a.m. – Welcome message.
- 8:47 a.m. – An address by President Jeremy Brown.
- 8:53 a.m. – Honor guard approaches flag pole to unfurl colors and attach to halyards.
- 8:56 a.m. – The raising of the American flag to coincide with time that first plane struck 1 WTC.
- 8:57 a.m. – A 15-second college-wide moment of silence.
- 8:58 a.m. – Amazing Grace by bagpipes.
- 8:59 a.m. – Closing remarks and thanks by President Jeremy Brown.