Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.
Stay safe at PCC after dark
Photos and Story by Kate Chester
The turn of the season means it’s getting darker earlier each evening. The Portland Community College Department of Public Safety offers the following tips for traveling safely on campus at night:
- Travel in groups and avoid going out alone, or contact the Department of Public Safety to be escorted to your car after dark. For more information about this and other services, visit the Public Safety Web site.
- Familiarize yourself with the layout of the campus. Plan the safest route to your destination. Choose well-lit, busy pathways and streets, and avoid alleyways or “short cuts” through isolated areas.
- Know how to contact the college’s Public Safety department and program the emergency and non-emergency phone numbers into your personal cell phone. The emergency number is (971) 722-4444 (TDD: 971-722-8887) to report a crime, suspicious activity or injury. The non-emergency number is (971) 722-4902 for lost and found items and public assistance services.
- Learn where the emergency telephones (blue light telephones) are located on campus and know how to use them.
- As always, be alert for any suspicious subjects or activities. To stay current on the latest news, visit the campus safety alerts page.