Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.
PCC Rock Creek gears up for summer bond projects
Photos and Story by Katherine Miller
As students plan vacations or start their summer jobs, the construction and improvements funded by the 2008 voter-approved bond measure will continue throughout the season. Here’s an overview of the work happening at Rock Creek:
- The main entry off of Northwest Springville Road is being widened from the entrance to the stop sign. The project will add a left turn lane, a 6-foot-wide bike lane and bioswales on both sides to address water runoff. Some trees will be removed to make way for landscaping. Because the road will be wider, a new security gate will also be installed. To assist with traffic flow, one side of the entrance will be worked on at a time. Safety fencing is in place and traffic control will be provided when necessary. TriMet will manage bus stop improvements. The project is expected to be completed by Sept. 18.
- Work has begun on the construction of an emergency-only egress road from the northwest side of campus to Northwest 185th Avenue. The new road, gated at both ends, will be under the control of Campus Public Safety. As part of this project, the adjacent Building Construction Technology yard will also see some improvements.
Buildings 2 and 3:
- Voluntary seismic improvements will be made in both buildings.
- Podiums will be upgraded in classrooms 247, 248 and 249 in Building 2.
- The Student Computing Center (SCC) will be temporarily relocated to the Library on the second floor of Building 9 and a new SCC area created in Room 259 of Building 2 (opening Sept. 21). A portion of the old space in that building will be converted to a general purpose classroom.
- Work continues on the construction of the new 62,000-square-foot addition. Interior walls have been erected and drywall begun; window installation has started; the roof is on; and equipment is being moved in. Substantial completion is expected by mid-October, with staff slated to move in in December, followed by the Bookstore in January.
- In the existing gymnasium and weight room, the flooring will be replaced. A new laundry room will be added in the weight room, and two gender-neutral shower/toilet rooms built off the main entry.
- A concrete path — designed in partnership with Rock Creek’s Landscape Technology students — will be constructed from Building 7 leading west to Parking Lot C. Installation dates of plantings are yet to be determined.
Parking Lot A:
- Lot A will gain improved motorcycle and fuel-efficient vehicle parking, 10 additional parking spots, plus two battery charging stations at the north end. The lot will also offer a few visitor and short-term parking spots. Existing landscaping will be improved, and a walkway will be added from the lot to the Hangar building. Upgrades will be completed by Sept. 7.
PCC’s 2008 voter-approved $374 million bond program is increasing opportunities for residents to access quality, affordable higher education close to where they live and work. Additional classrooms, updated equipment and technology, and advanced workforce training programs are helping to pave the way for future employment options. For more information, visit www.pcc.edu/about/bond/about.