Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.
Rock Creek’s ‘Barbie Project’ back for fifth year to raise awareness about abuse toward women
Photos and Story by Janis Nichols
One out of every three women is directly affected by physical violence during her lifetime. The annual Barbie Project at the Rock Creek Campus is dedicated to raising awareness about this national crisis and educating audiences about the pervasiveness of domestic violence throughout the country.
The project features Barbie dolls that are placed around campuses for people to see. They are used as examples of physical abuse and personal injury, as well as a reminder that domestic violence touches all economic classes. The Barbie Project .
In addition, the project will provide information from community resource domestic violence and sexual assault agencies. Counseling, Veterans, Queer & Women’s resource centers will staff tables with information in Building 2, or between it and Building 3. Resources and counselors will also be available through Feb. 17.
The Rock Creek Women’s Resource Center and the Women’s Leadership Program have created a week of free events open to the public including:
“Broken Promises” by Teatro Milagro: 4-5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 16, The Forum, Building 3. This play reveals how quickly and easily teens are ensnared in the world of sex trafficking.
“In Her Shoes”: Noon-2 p.m. and 3-5 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 18, Event Center, Building 9. This event focuses on domestic violence and decision making. The activity will give the audience insight of how victims of domestic violence deal with their challenges. Space is limited.
Women’s Self–Defense Class: 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Friday, Feb. 19, Room 122, Building 5.
Resources on domestic violence and sexual assault in conjunction with this important week, include:
- Counseling Center (appointments and walk-ins): (971) 722-7300.
- Domestic Violence Resource Center (Washington County) 24 hour crisis line: (866) 469-8600.
- Protective Orders: (503) 846-3830.
- Counseling and Support Groups: (503) 640-5352.
- Columbia County Women’s Resource Center 24 hour crisis line: (866) 397-6161, or (503) 397-6161.
- Sexual Assault Resource Center (Washington County 24 hour Response Line): (503) 640-5311.
- Portland Women’s Crisis Line (24 hours): (503) 235-5333.
- Home Free (Domestic Violence Intervention Program) Hot-line: (503) 771-5503.
- Rock Creek Women’s Resource Center: Located in Room 119, or call (971) 722-7432.