PCC’s 55th graduation a first for new president Mark Mitsui

Photos and Story by | 13 comments

The Portland Community College academic season came to a glorious end on June 16 with its 55th commencement ceremony in the Memorial Coliseum.

More than 800 graduates walked across the stage to receive their associate degree or certificate in front of a crowd of nearly 6,000. The college awarded 5,300 total degrees and certificates this year to its 2017 graduates.

The theme seemed to be that no matter where you are from, what country you hail from, PCC is there to help you on your path. Featured student speaker Moon Detering embodied this theme as she told the packed stadium of her journey from poverty in China to overcoming a language barrier in Portland.

“PCC has helped me find myself and broaden my horizons,” she said. “I’ll never forget my past or humble beginnings, but I would have never succeeded without PCC.”

The graduation was special in many ways, but one of the more prominent attractions was President Mark Mitsui’s first commencement address. He talked about the economic engine that is PCC and how the college ranks in the top-10 in the country in associate degrees awarded by community colleges. It’s a big connection.

“Studies show that the more education you have the greater economic security you’ll have, the less likely you are to be unemployed, the better your health will be and the more likely you’ll be engaged in your community,” he said. “In short, you decided to pursue a better life through education and training right here at PCC … believe me when I say that PCC cares about you.”

If you have questions about official photos, email: commencement@pcc.edu.[opens in new window]

2017 Commencement Photo Gallery

About James Hill

Poppe with speech bubble

Comments

There are 13 comment for this article. If you see something that doesn't belong, please click the x and report it.

x by Dominic rivera 2 months ago

Where can I find the 2017 individual graduate pictures?

x by Amina 2 months ago

I would also like to know where can I find 2017 individual graduate picture, or where I can buy it? Thank you!

x by Greg Burghardt 2 months ago

Could you lets us know where to buy the indiv. Pix

x by James Hill 2 months ago

Please contact Student records who organized the graduation events at commencement@pcc.edu.

x by Jaz 2 months ago

Where can we purchase individual picture from the commencement? Thank you.

x by Marilyn Nicks 1 month ago

Where can we purchase the 2017 individual graduation photo? I cannot find a link anywhere!

x by Cynthia K. 1 month ago

Can you post a link to the complete photo album?

x by Abril 3 weeks ago

Does anyone know the password to order the commencement photographs ?

x by Amina 3 weeks ago

PCCGRADS2017

x by Josh 3 weeks ago

Thank you James for posting information about the pictures. Nobody at graduation mentioned this and I thought I had no pictures of my graduation after my Dad’s phone died.

x by Richilley Siagian 2 weeks ago

I graduated two months ago on june 16, 2017. I would like to know where and when can I get or purchase the picture when I received the diploma, when I walked over from the stage, etc. I have tried so many email through commencement at pcc.edu; however, I have not gotten any answer from the at all. I have checked through the comment from the commencement last year 2016, and someone has told that we need to go to life touch on google. I went there last night, and I thought I found it. However, they asked me to get the enter password enrollment or something. Does anyone know what is the password enrollment?

x by Gabriel 1 week ago

Not quite sure why the photo information is so hard to find, but I did track it down:

Hope this helps.

x by 86Penni 1 day ago

I have noticed you don’t monetize your page, don’t waste your
traffic, you can earn additional bucks every month because you’ve got hi quality
content. If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for: best adsense alternative Wrastain’s tools

Add to the discussion

PCC offers this limited open forum as an extension of the respectful, well-reasoned discourse we expect in our classroom discussions. As such, we welcome all viewpoints, but monitor comments to be sure they stick to the topic and contribute to the conversation. We will remove them if they contain or link to abusive material, personal attacks, profanity, off-topic items, or spam. This is the same behavior we require in our hallways and classrooms. Our online spaces are no different.

Email Subscriptions

Enter your email address to follow PCC News and recieve notifications of new posts by email.

What's Hot?