Tag Archive for "
Cascade Campus "
Graduation at PCC
- June 5, 1999 is the big-payoff day for the hard work and dedication of nearly 1,800 Portland Community College students, when the college celebrates their accomplishments with its 37th commencement ceremony at 11 a.m. in Memorial Coliseum. Students from all walks of life will reach out their hands to accept a handshake and a degree, one- or two-year certificate, high school diploma or GED certificate from PCC President Dan Moriarty. What: Portland Community College’s 37th commencement ceremony When: Saturday, June 5, 11 a.m. Where: Memorial Coliseum Who: Commencement Speaker is Multnomah County Commissioner Serena Cruz, who represents District 2, which includes the areas of North and Northeast Portland. Cruz has been a long-time advocate for accessible higher education, having worked […]
Wednesday, May 26, 1999
Art Beat '99 Will Make Your Life Worth Living
- If this world has got you down the world with traffic jams, crying kids and VISA bills Portland Community College has a temporary escape into a land of beauty, artistic grandeur and soothing imagery waiting for you. What’s more, it’s free! Put away the aspirin and find your way to Art Beat ’99, set to take over PCC campuses May 10-14. This year’s multi-campus event represents the 13th time the college has brought local, regional and national visual and performing artists onto its main campuses to expose you and others like you to unique visions and versions of our world. Photography is the theme for Art Beat ’99, with the work and wisdom of Portland photographer Terry Toedtemeier taking center […]
Wednesday, May 19, 1999
College-wide Enrollment Continues to Climb at PCC
- Spring term enrollment figures for Portland Community College show an increase of both full-time equivalent students and total headcount for the third straight spring term, according to a report compiled recently by the college’s Institutional Research office. PCC’s enrollment report after the fourth week of spring term when figures are submitted to the state confirm a college-wide enrollment increase of nearly two percent in full-time equivalent students. FTE is the total number of full-time and part-time students combined to determine a full-time equivalent student count. There was also a more than three percent increase in headcount for spring term, which is the total number of students attending classes at PCC. These figures continue the steady increase in spring term enrollment […]
Thursday, May 13, 1999
Students Join Oregon Lions for Screening Effort at Cascade Campus
- Portland Community College Ophthalmic Medical Technology (OMT) students will join forces with the Oregon Lions Sight and Hearing Foundation on Friday, May 21, when the Oregon Lions’ Mobile Screening Unit pulls onto the Cascade Campus from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for vision, glaucoma, blood pressure and diabetes screenings. OMT students will staff registration tables and perform screenings on participants. Students, college staff and the general public are welcome to receive free screenings. The Mobile Screening Unit is a 44-foot trailer pulled by a Freightliner tractor. It is a self-contained testing unit that produces its own electrical power for the testing equipment. "This is an opportunity for us to serve the community where we live and work," said OMT Department […]
Thursday, Apr 29, 1999
Head Start, OMT program envision growing partnership
- Joanne Harris, chair of the PCC Ophthalmic Medical Technology department, and Albina Head Start's Sue Riss were introduced to each other by a phone book.
Wednesday, Apr 21, 1999
PCC Students Pair with Albina Head Start for Youth Vision Screenings on April 27 and May 4 at Cascad
- Portland Community College Ophthalmic Medical Technology (OMT) students will take the anxiety out of a doctor’s office visit for as many as 80 3-year-olds, when the youngsters with Albina Head Start staffers in tow board Tri-Met buses bound for the Cascade Campus on Tuesday, April 27 and Tuesday, May 4. Screenings will take place at the OMT lab in Jackson Hall, Room 119 starting at 10 a.m. The Cascade Campus is located at 705 N. Killingsworth. The field trip of sorts will allow the children to be screened by the students for decreased vision and amblyopia, also known as "lazy eye." For more information on the partnership between Albina Head Start and PCC’s Ophthalmic Medical Technology program, call the OMT […]
Wednesday, Apr 21, 1999
PCC Hosts Gripping Documentary "Letters to Thien"
- The horrific details behind the kicking, stabbing and eventual murder of 24-year-old Thien Minh Ly by two men on the tennis courts of Tustin (Calif.) High School in 1996 are enough to turn even the most settled of stomachs. What may be even more nauseating is that these details came from one of the alleged killers himself in an almost celebratory letter documenting the events that January 29. Both the murder and the chilling letter that followed are the subject of a powerful documentary by acclaimed director and Jesuit High School graduate Trac Minh Vu, "Letters to Thien." This film is being shown for free at several Portland Community College locations on April 26 and 27, May 11 and May […]
Thursday, Apr 15, 1999
Third Annual Jackson Symposium Set for April 29 at Cascade
- The Cascade Campus Community Center of Portland Community College is glad to once again celebrate African American history with the Third Annual Jackson Forum Symposium on Thursday, April 29 at 6 p.m. at the Cascade Campus, 705 N. Killingsworth. The symposium, which is free and open to the public, features four presentations by local and regional historians on the subject of the African American experience as it relates to employment and labor issues in Portland. Topics of discussion include the music and real estate industries, the tugboat workers’ union and Portland’s Golden West Hotel. The event will be held in Terrell Hall, Room 122. Refreshments will be served prior to the presentations in Terrell Hall, Room 112. The public will […]
Thursday, Apr 15, 1999
Cascade Campus Job Fair brings 80 Employers to Job Seekers
- The Portland Community College Cascade Campus and Today’s Careers are joining forces to bring as many as 80 of Oregon’s finest companies into the North/Northeast community for the Cascade Campus Spring 1999 Career and Job Information Fair on Tuesday, May 4 on the Cascade Campus. The fair, slated for 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., will provide networking opportunities for students, people seeking new career options, and others wanting to see first-hand the myriad of employment choices they have right here in the Portland metro area. Some of the high-profile companies scheduled to meet with students and the community include: American Red Cross, Fred Meyer, Hanna Andersson, LSI Logic, Legacy Health System, Mt. Hood Beverage Company, Oregon Lottery, Oregon State Police, […]
Thursday, Apr 15, 1999
U.S. Sen. Gordon Smith to Award D.C. Internship to PCC Skill Center Graduate
- U.S. Senator Gordon Smith will announce PCC student Jermon McLean as the 1999 Portland Community College Cascade Campus Minority Internship recipient on Friday, April 16, 2 p.m., in the foyer of the Student Services Building at the Cascade Campus, 705 N. Killingsworth. The community is invited to meet with Sen. Smith and McLean. Smith established the internship last year to recognize the accomplishments and talent of PCC’s non-traditional students who enroll in the Skill Center, a short-term training program for unemployed and under-employed people primarily from North and Northeast Portland. Smith first visited the program in 1995 as then-Oregon Senate President. The staff’s commitment to students and the students’ commitment to improving their lives impressed him. Since then, Smith has […]
Wednesday, Apr 14, 1999