Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.
Community Education Hot Picks
Photos and Story by Eloise Holland
Check out these great classes under $50
This spring Community Education offers more than 1,000 ways to do what you love. Check out these hot classes, or visit our website at www.pcc.edu/communityed for even more!*
- Harmony Singing
- Can you carry a tune but want to learn and improve your harmony skills? Multi-cultural songs. Very fun!
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 24340 SE Center / TABOR 10 AM-12:30 PM Sa 11-April-2009 Instructor: Ann E Weiss Tuition: $25.00 Fees: $0.00
- Handmade Papers: Crash Course
- Learn the full process from how to make pulp to the paper sheets. Make beautiful paper or cards, small gift boxes and art projects. Bring hair dryer, a phone book and box (or plastic bin) for transporting projects that are still wet.
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 26424 Cascade / MAHB / 223 10 AM-4 PM Sa 18-April-2009 Instructor: Sierra L Briano Tuition: $35.00 Fees: $12.00
Home and Garden
- Going Green on a Budget
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 27237 Tualatin / TUALHI / 123 06:30 PM-08:00 PM Th 14-May-2009 Instructor: Angela Todd Notes: $10 payable to “Angela Todd Designs.” Tuition: $25.00 Fees: $5.00
Is it time for that remodeling project? Join the green revolution. Discover surprisingly low cost options in sustainable flooring and surfaces without compromising great design.
- Rain Gardens and More!
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 27089 No Portland / EASOIL / . 06:30 PM-08:30 PM Th 07-May-2009 thru 28-May-2009 Instructor: Candace Stoughton Tuition: $45.00 Fees: $0.00
Join us as we explore all the exciting things we can do to manage rainfall runoff around our homes! Learn about rain gardens, ecoroofs, pervious pavements, rainwater harvesting and more. We’ll take a tour of local examples in Portland.
Language and Culture
- Art Through the Ages
- Learn firsthand from works of art in the Portland Art Museum galleries. From ancient Greek to modern and contemporary, explore and analyze the wonderful complexities of art!
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 27034 Downtown / ARTMSM / 06:00 PM-07:30 PM Th 16-Apr-2009 thru 21-May-2009 Instructor: Karin S Whalen Notes: $10 fee paid to “Portland Art Museum” for pass. Tuition: $49.00 Fees: $0.00
- Buddism: Entering the Mystery of Being
- Buddhism is not a system of beliefs. Instead, it is a set of instructions for the path to enlightenment. Class will include meditation sessions and practical instructions, as well as an exploration of the meaning of “enlightenment”
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 26854 Sylvania / TCB / 216 07:00 PM-08:50 PM Th 09-Apr-2009 thru 30-Apr-2009 Instructor: Michael D Conklin Tuition: $45.00 Fees: $0.00
- English Garden Tour Info Session
- Your English garden tour begins with a visit to the Hampton Court Flower Show, bigger than the famous Chelsea Flower Show and held on the grounds of the spectacular Hampton Court Palace just outside of London. You’ll rub elbows with gardeners from all of England. Next stop, RHS Wisley for acres of demonstration gardens. Then ramble through the Cotswolds and the English countryside visiting Hidcote, Sissinghurst and other gardens of note.$2,499 (approximate price) and $200 PCC tuition, includes: hotel with daily breakfast, transportation per itinerary, entrance fees,and several meals. Airfare is not included.
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 23370 Central Portland – CPWTC / CPWTC / 301 07:00 PM-08:00 PM Th 23-Apr-2009 Instructor: Nancy Horner Tuition: Free
- Starting Your Own Freelance Business
- Not sure a career as a freelancer is right for you? Come learn the ins and outs from someone who has made the leap from employee to business owner. Gain specific tools and information to get started in your dream business now!
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 27234 NE Port / HERITB / 002 06:30 PM-08:30 PM M 04-May-2009 thru 01-Jun-2009 Instructor: Rhonda L Spencer Notes: No class 5/25. Tuition: $45.00 Fees: $10.00
- Discover Your True Work
- Are you finding your current work unsatisfying, stressful, or exhausting? Are you thinking about trying something new? Come explore self-discovery tools that will help you find fulfilling work; create a job search built on your strengths.
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 26799 SE Port / FRAKHS / 160 06:00 PM-09:00 PM Tu 21-April-2009 26799 SE Center / TABOR / 135 01:00 PM-04:00 PM Sa 25-April-2009 Instructor: Natasha Harmon Tuition: $35.00 Fees: $5.00
Recreation and Wellness
- Weight Loss Through Hypnosis
- Certified hypnotherapist teaches techniques you need to permanently change your behavior with food to successfully lose weight. If diets haven’t worked for you in the past, hypnotherapy may be the solution.
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 27242 NE Port / GRNTHS / 237 07:00 PM-09:00 PM Th 14-May-2009 thru 21-May-2009 Instructor: Lexi Parrott Tuition: $35.00 Fees: $12.00
- How to Give a Great Massage!
- Learn how to give your friends and family agreat neck and shoulder massage. Exploredifferent ways to reduce tension as well as, easy to learn massage techniques . Bring a pillowand a blanket.
CRN Campus / Bldg / Rm Time Days Dates 26630 NW Port / FRNHSE / . 09:00 AM-01:00 PM Sa 25-Apr-2009 Instructor: John W Johnson Notes: Bring pillow, blanket & optional massage oil. Tuition: $39.00 Fees: $10.00
*A full schedule of classes are included in the PCC Communities magazine mailed to your home. Or you can request a copy at www.pcc.edu/communityed!