Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.
Rock Creek honors vets with week of beneficial events
Photos and Story by Dana Haynes
With the United States enmeshed in two active wars and thousands of veterans returning home to re-enter their own lives, Portland Community College’s Rock Creek Campus decided to say “welcome home.”
The Rock Creek Veteran’s Appreciation Week celebration is slated for Monday through Friday, May 23 to 27 at the campus, 17705 N.W. Springville Road.
“Throughout the week, we are inviting people to participate in a number of campus events that both support and honor members of the armed services,” said David Rule, president of the Rock Creek Campus. “As a community, I ask that you show your gratitude to the brave men and women who serve our country in peace time and in war. It is not possible to measure their sacrifice.”
Events that are open to all veterans and include:
• Monday: Flag ceremony, 9 a.m., Building 3; Education benefits/résumé writing, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Building 9, Room 122A; college support services, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Buildings 2 and 3.
• Tuesday: Army Rock Wall, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; education benefits/ résumé writing, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Building 9, Room 122C; veterans resource tables, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Buildings 2 and 3.
• Wednesday: Army Rock Wall, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; “Boots to Books,” veterans transition program, 3 to 4 p.m., Building 3, TLC 102; veterans resource tables, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Buildings 2 & 3.
• Thursday: Army Humvee (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle) Display, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; résumé and interview workshop, 11a.m. to noon, Building 3, TLC 102; veterans resource tables, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Buildings 2 & 3.
• Friday: Veterans resource tables, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Buildings 2 & 3; job fair, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Building 3; veterans ball, 5 to 9 p.m., Events Center, Building 9, Room 122 (casual dress).