Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.
Bachelor's Degrees Now Available Through PCC Distance Learning
Photos and Story by Mark Evertz
The convenience of higher education through Portland Community College has reached a new level this year with the help of several four-year institutions.
Via the Internet or modem, PCC students can now work toward a bachelor’s degree by linking with Oregon State University, Marylhurst University, Eastern Oregon University and Governors State University in Illinois.
PCC students have previously been able to complete selected associate’s degrees or take assorted classes from home, work or at PCC facilities via the Internet or modem. The new relationship with these universities allows students to complete more classes at their local college while fulfilling requirements for their bachelor’s degrees in disciplines such as business, management, organizational communication and liberal studies.
"The whole purpose of this is to make it simpler and more seamless for students to reach their goals," said PCC Director of Distance Learning John Sneed, "whether it be a one-year certificate, an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree."
Sneed added that all students seeking bachelor’s degrees must meet admissions requirements for the institution granting the degrees and need to consult with advisors at both PCC and the institution with their degree of choice.
The following degrees are available through PCC’s Distance Learning department, which administers the program:
· associate of general studies degree;
· associate of arts Oregon Transfer Degree;
· program award in management and supervisory development;
· associate of applied science degree in management and supervisory development;
· bachelor of science in liberal studies;
· bachelor of arts in liberal studies;
· bachelor of science in management;
· bachelor of arts in organizational communication;
· Board of Governors bachelor of arts degree;
· general business degree with a minor in communications.
For more information on Distance Learning programs at PCC, contact John Sneed at 977-4398, or visit the PCC Distance Learning web site at www.distance.pcc.edu.