Please note: This was published over a year ago. Phone numbers, email addresses and other information may have changed.
Come meet with COSSEE Representatives
Photos and Story by Julie Kinney
Faculty Development Opportunity!
What is it? The PCC Staff Development Office was recently contacted by the Center for Ocean Science Education Excellence (COSEE), located at the U of O, about an opportunity for PCC Science Faculty to meet with COSEE representatives.
Some Background Information: The U of O was recently made a COSEE site. The director, Jan Hodder, and the coordinator, Coral Gehrke, are traveling through Oregon speaking to community college science faculty (as well as anyone else who is interested) to introduce themselves and gather input on how they might best serve community college faculty and students. In a nutshell, COSEE’s main goal is to support ocean literacy by offering such wonderful resources as:
- professional development opportunities for community college faculty
- curriculum support for community college faculty
- outreach and research experiences for community college faculty
- internships for community college students
- collaborations among scientists and educators to advance ocean discovery and make known the vital role of the ocean in our lives
When: Friday, April 11th 10a.m. to 12 p.m. at SYL CC Conference Room B
Why this is a good idea: Oregon COSEE is in the development phase and this is an excellent opportunity for our science faculty to learn about COSEE, share input and directly influence COSEE’s development.
How: Email Selena Niles in the Staff Development Office at email@example.com
if you want to participate.
Staff & Organizational Development Facilitator
Portland Community College
503. 452.9581 (fax)